Edward J. Gutman, LLC
Mediation & Arbitration Services
EDWARD J. GUTMAN
7 St. Paul Street Suite 600
Baltimore, Md. 21202
Mr. Gutman, a former Principal in the law firms of Semmes, Bowen & Semmes and Blum, Yumkas, Mailman and Gutman, with an Av Martindale Hubbell rating has been engaged in the ADR practice of mediation and arbitration since 2004. He has extensive experience in arbitrating, mediating and serving as a hearing examiner in cases, including labor and employment, general business and other civil disputes.
He served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (“Labor and Employment Arbitration”). He serves as Chairman of the Maryland State Labor Relations Board to which he was appointed by former Governor Martin O’Malley. He served as the Labor Commissioner of Baltimore City.
- University of Maryland - Bachelor of Arts
- University of Maryland School of Law - LLB (Law Review)
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Training
- Arbitration Training - American Arbitration Association (Labor)
- Arbitration Training - Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service
- Arbitration Training
-American Arbitration Association (Employment)
- Mediation Training - Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education Lawyers
- Family Mediation Training - Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Workers Comp Mediation Training - Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers
- Panel Member Training - Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Mediation Training - Maryland Commission on Human Relations
- Mediation Training - Legal Aid of Maryland
- Mediation Training - Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Trial attorney - National Labor Relations Board
- Assistant City Solicitor City of Baltimore
- Labor Commissioner of Baltimore City (Mayoral Appointment)
- Member: Governor’s Task Force on Public Employment Labor Relations (Maryland)
- Member : General Assembly Workgroup on the Status of Graduate Assistant and Adjunct Faculty in the University System of Maryland
- Member - Maryland State Labor Relations Board (Appointed by Governor O’Malley)
- Private Practice in Labor and Employment and Education Litigation.
- Private Practice in ADR Mediation and Arbitration
Certified arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the National Arbitration Forum, VirtualCourthouse, ADR Systems, NAM; States of New Jersey, Virgin Island, Delaware, Nevada, Washington, Florida, Montana, Oregon, Illinois, California, Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board, National Arbitration and Mediation (NAM), and Hearing Officer for local boards of Education in student and teacher discipline disputes, labor relations and negotiations impasse Proceedings.
Certified mediator for private commercial and labor and employment disputes; the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Circuit Courts of Baltimore City, Baltimore County, Howard County, Anne Arundel County, Harford County and Frederick County, Maryland; Legal Aid of Maryland, the Maryland Commission On Human Relations, ADR Systems of America LLC National Mediation Board
Hearing officer for local boards of education in student and teacher discipline disputes, labor relations and negotiations impasse proceedings.
Bar and Professional Associations
Admitted to practice before State and local courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia, federal and appellate courts including the Supreme Court of the United States; member of the American Bar Association; Maryland State Bar Association (Member, Labor Law Section); Baltimore City Bar Association; Maryland Council of School Board Attorneys and the National Public Employer Labor Relations Association (Charter Member).
Former Member of the Baltimore City Board of Education; Active in community affairs, charitable and services organizations
Recent cases arbitrated - Summarized here